Should I Replace or Repair My Printer?
There’s an age-old question we all face whenever an item we’ve invested a lot of money into starts to malfunction: should I repair it or replace it? Whether it’s a car, a refrigerator, or a printer, it can be hard to draw a line in the sand at the precise point where it stops making financial sense to pay for more repairs. You don’t want to throw out a printer that could still have a few good years left, but who wants to deal with the hassle of constant repairs on a printer that’s on its last leg?
Below, our printer experts at All Print Heads share their thoughts on when to replace a printer and when to have it repaired.
When to Repair Your Printer
If your printer doesn’t have a history of problems, it’s very likely that all you need to do is have it repaired, particularly if it’s not an older model. Here are some times when it makes financial sense to have your printer fixed rather than replacing it:
- Your printer has never broken down before.
- You only have to call for repair service once or twice a year.
- The repair is simple enough to perform yourself.
- You still have a stockpile of ink and other supplies on hand for your printer—particularly if these supplies can’t be used in the model you’d buy to replace it.
- The cost of the repair is less than half the value of your printer.
Sometimes rather than replacing your printer, all that’s needed is to replace the printhead. A qualified printer repair technician should be able to give you a good idea as to whether the issues with your printer can be repaired, if performance can be improved by replacing a specific part, or if you should simply purchase a new model.
When to Replace Your Printer
It can be difficult coming to terms with the fact that you may just need to buy a new printer, but with the rapid changes in technology these days, you may find that your new equipment performs faster, better, and more reliably. This can certainly soften the blow of having to spend money on a printer! Here are some times in which you may be better off replacing your printer instead of attempting to repair it:
- Your printer breaks down every few weeks. Even if the repairs needed to get it up and running again are minor, the hassle and expense just isn’t worth it. If you have a newer model, there may be some kind of flaw in it; contact the manufacturer to see if you can get a replacement.
- Your printer doesn’t have the latest cybersecurity features available to keep your business and/or personal information secure.
- The costs of operating and maintaining your current printer are rising. Even if they aren’t, a new printer may save you money thanks to reduced energy consumption and more efficient performance.
- You need to have professional repairs three or more times a year.
- Your printer is obsolete and parts are no longer made for it.
- There are features and capabilities in newer models that you or your business could benefit from—multifunction printers that can scan documents or print from mobile devices, for example.
- Your printing needs have changed since you bought your original equipment.
Learn More About Printer Repair and Replacement
Our printing industry experts can provide assistance with choosing a printhead or printer if you’re experiencing issues. Contact us today at 1-800-616-0584 to learn more.